Thursday, July 26, 2012

Lettuce Wraps Part II



I do love a good lettuce wrap. I don't watch my carbs or anything, but sometimes I do leave myself very few calories by dinner time, and I need something that is tasty and filling, but not very high in calories. Lettuce wraps fit the bill every time. You can see my previous recipe for lettuce wraps, which were very tasty. But I saw this recipe on Eat Better America's website and thought these looked quite good and a little easier to make. I added some freshly chopped cilantro to the top, which added another level of freshness to this dish. And the filling is so sweet, yet savory, I really enjoyed it. Also, the recipe calls for chicken breasts, but I used ground chicken instead.

Lettuce Wraps
Ingredients:

Sauce:
1/2 cup apricot preserves
1/3 cup fresh lime juice
2 tablespoons lite soy sauce
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 teaspoon cornstarch

Wraps:
1 tablespoon dark sesame oil or vegetable oil
2 boneless skinless chicken breast halves, finely chopped, or 1 lb. ground chicken
1/2 cup chopped seeded cucumber
1/2 cup grated carrot
2 tablespoons chopped peanuts
1 teaspoon grated gingerroot
1 teaspoon chopped garlic
16 leaves (about 2 heads) butterhead (Bibb or Boston) lettuce

Optional:
Cilantro

1. In small bowl, combine preserves, lime juice, soy sauce and garlic; mix well. Spoon 1/4 cup sauce into 1-cup measuring cup. Stir in cornstarch until smooth; set aside. Refrigerate remaining sauce in bowl until serving time.

2. Heat oil in medium skillet over medium-high heat until hot. Add chicken; cook 5 to 7 minutes or until browned, stirring frequently. Stir in cucumber, carrot, peanuts, gingerroot and garlic. Stir in reserved sauce with cornstarch. Cook 2 to 3 minutes or until bubbly and thickened, stirring constantly. Spoon mixture into shallow dish. Cover; refrigerate 30 minutes or until cooled.


3. Spoon 2 tablespoons chicken mixture onto center of each lettuce leaf. Fold sides of lettuce in toward center; roll up like burrito. Secure with toothpicks. Place seam side down on serving platter. Serve immediately, or cover and refrigerate until serving time. Serve wraps with sauce.


No comments:

Post a Comment