Monday, July 30, 2012

Chocolate Souffle




You might have guessed that my Spoonbread Souffle was my warmup for trying a full-on souffle, something I've always wanted to try but never have. Part of the reason is lack of proper equipment. I don't have a 2 qt. souffle casserole, but I do have 10 oz. ramekins, thanks to Cash & Carry who had them cheap! The second part of the reason is that souffle's tend to be (for me) a little intimidating. What if it doesn't rise? What if it tastes too eggy when I don't mean for it to? What if I overcook it? But I finally bit the bullet tonight, and now I'm asking myself, what the heck was I doing waiting so long?? These are a dream, and were SUPER EASY to make. And just in case you needed more proof that the almighty egg is indeed king of all foods, the souffle is a shining example of the versatility and beauty of what a simple, humble egg can do. This recipe is courtesy of Eating Well magazine, though I substitute half-n-half for the heavy cream.

Chocolate Souffle
Ingredients:
3 tablespoons granulated sugar, divided
2 1/2 ounces semisweet or bittersweet chocolate, chopped
1 large egg, separated, plus 2 large egg whites
1 tablespoon half-n-half
1 teaspoon all-purpose flour
1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon salt
Confectioners' sugar, for dusting (optional)
2 - 10 oz. ramekins

1. Position rack in center of oven; preheat to 375°F. Lightly coat two 10-ounce ramekins with cooking spray; coat the insides of each with 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar.
Place chocolate in a small microwave-safe bowl.

2. Microwave on medium, stirring every 20 seconds, until melted, 1 to 2 minutes.

3. Whisk egg yolk and cream in a medium bowl until combined. Whisk in the chocolate until smooth, then whisk in flour and cinnamon until incorporated.
Beat egg whites and salt in a medium bowl with an electric mixer on high speed until soft peaks form. Beat in the remaining 2 tablespoons sugar in four additions, until stiff, glossy peaks form.

4. Using a rubber spatula, gently fold half the beaten whites into the chocolate mixture until fairly smooth; then gently fold this combined mixture back into the remaining egg whites until no white streaks remain. Divide between the prepared ramekins and place on a baking sheet.



5. Bake until puffed and firm to the touch, 18 to 22 minutes. Dust with confectioners’ sugar, if desired. Serve immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment