Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Caramelized Onion Jam


I've been looking to make an onion jam for the last several months, but all the recipes I've found have been for spicy onion jam, and while I like the sound of that, I wanted my first onion jam to be not so spicy. So, I was thrilled today when I found a recipe in my CSA newsletter for caramelized onion jam. Sounded quite tasty, so I made a batch tonight. This can be used with sweeter meats like pork loin or duck, but I think it could also go well with a balsamic-glazed chicken.

Caramelized Onion Jam
Ingredients:
2 whole garlic bulbs
1 tsp olive oil
2.5 cups sliced yellow onions
2 tbs butter, cubed
1/3 cup red wine vinegar
1/4 cup lemon juice
1/2 tsp ground mustard seed
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp white pepper
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/4 tsp ground cloves
1/2 cup sugar

1. Remove papery outer skin from garlic (do not peel or separate cloves). Cut top off garlic bulbs; brush with oil. Wrap each bulb in heavy-duty foil. Bake at 425 degrees for 30-35 minutes or until softened. Cool for 10-15 minutes.

2. Saute onions in butter for 30-40 minutes over low to medium heat or until lightly caramelized.



3. Squeeze softened garlic into pan. Stir in the vinegar, lemon juice, mustard, salt, pepper, ginger, cloves and sugar. Cook over low heat until thickened to coat the back of a spoon. Transfer to a bowl and let cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment