Thursday, May 10, 2012

Lemon Tea Cookies


I'm on a cookie kick lately...that's bad because I love to eat said cookies! When they are normally 100 calories or more a pop, I can get in trouble with my calorie intake really quick. But these little lemon gems are only 55 calories or so per cookie, if you can get 48 cookies out of the dough. This recipe is from my Farm Chicks cookbook, and it calls for fresh lemon juice and lemon zest. Undoubtedly, that would make these super lemony and wonderful, which means, no one else in my family would eat them, except for me. That's good and that's bad. :) Unfortunately, I didn't have any lemons, and I didn't want to run to the store, so, I made these with lemon juice and 86'd the lemon zest. The result - a slight lemon taste that my kids didn't even pick up on, which means, they want more! These have a slight shortbread flavor to them, and they are quite flaky, probably due to heavy amount of cornstarch in them. The frosting is light but thick and quite tasty. I'm already imagining these when I make them again with fresh lemon juice and zest. Zingy!

Lemon Tea Cookies
Ingredients:

Cookie:
1.5 cups AP flour
1/2 cup cornstarch
1/3 cup powdered sugar
1/8 tsp salt
3/4 cup butter (softened)
2 tbs lemon juice
2 tsp grated lemon zest

Lemon Frosting:
1 cup sifted powdered sugar
1/4 cup softened butter
2 tsp lemon juice

1. Whisk together the flour, cornstarch, powdered sugar and salt in a bowl. Cream the butter in a large bowl; add the lemon juice and zest, beating until combined. Add the flour mixture and beat on low speed until combined.

2. Divide the dough in half. Roll each half into a log approximately 1.5 inches by 8 inches. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour.

3. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cut each dough log into 1/4-inch slices; arrange on baking sheets, spacing about 1- inch apart. Bake until cookies are firm - 10 to 12 minutes. Transfer to a rack to cool. Spread Lemon Frosting over each cookie.

4. To prepare the frosting: beat the powdered sugar, butter and lemon juice together until light and fluffy. Frost each cookie.


No comments:

Post a Comment