Sunday, April 29, 2012

Flat Bread






**UPDATE**
I made these flat breads again last night. This time, rather than use the food processor, I did it all in my Kitchen Aid mixer with the dough hook, including the kneading time. It took about 5-7 minutes to knead the dough to the right texture. Then I quickly took it out, formed it into a circle and put it in the bowl for the rise. This was WAY easier and this is how I will do this in the future!

Friday night, my friend Tori, the aforementioned culinary genius, fed me a wonderful dinner of a chicken gyro-type sandwich. It was so good, I wanted to duplicate it, as much as my ingredients would allow, tonight for dinner. I didn't have chicken, but I had turkey breasts. I did a quick marinade (Tori's direction) of olive oil, lemon juice, dried oregano, salt and pepper for the turkey and let it sit in it for a couple of hours in the fridge. I cut up lettuce, (out of tomato), zucchini (didn't have any cucumber), avocado, and I did a quick pickle on some red onion and set out some feta cheese.

However, I didn't have any flat bread on hand! But I did have flour, yeast, sugar, and a few other ingredients on hand, so I thought I could make my own. It was way easier than I thought it would be, and I've now found a recipe I'll use to make homemade pizza dough, flat bread and even crackers for dipping in hummus. I got this recipe from The Food Network, and it's lovely, because you can change it up by adding different herbs, garlic or other flavorings to give it the taste you want. The recipe indicated that it could make 20 flat breads, but all the comments indicated that it really made only 6-8. My batch made 7 flat breads. I will double the recipe next time, and there will be a next time!!

Flat Bread
Ingredients:
1 package active yeast
1/2 teaspoon sugar
1 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon coarse salt
1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
3/4 cup water (might need more)
1 teaspoon oil

1. In the bowl of a food processor combine the yeast, sugar, flour, salt and thyme. Pulse to combine. Add the water in a steady stream until the dough begins to form a ball, turn it on to a board and knead with the heel of your hand until the dough is smooth and elastic. (*This recipe didn't say to use flour on the board, but I needed some as this dough was pretty sticky.)

2. Coat a bowl with oil. Place dough in bowl, and cover with a damp cloth. Put in a warm spot to rise until double in size, about 1 hour.

3. When the dough has doubled in size, punch the dough, scrape it onto the counter and knead it lightly into a smooth ball. Cut into 20 pieces and with a rolling pin roll out to form very flat 5 to 6-inch circles.

4. Preheat a stove top grill pan over medium high (I used an electric griddle). Do not oil. Place bread on hot grill and cook without touching it until you see bubbles on the surface, about 1 to 2 minutes. Turn and continue to cook 1 to 2 minutes more or until bread has puffed up. Serve immediately.

**Note: You can roll these even thinner if you want a crispier flat bread - I was wanting these to be more like pita breads or naan, hence the thicker roll.

No comments:

Post a Comment