Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Apple and Pear Puff Pancake


One of my Christmas presents was a cookbook that has long been on my Amazon wishlist. It is The Farm Chicks in the Kitchen cookbook.



It's as fabulous as it looks. Filled with simple, homey and delicious recipes, this cookbook packs a punch for flavor. The moment I saw this recipe for an Apple Puff Pancake, I knew I wanted to make it for breakfast, though it could easily be a dessert (drizzle with homemade caramel sauce). I added pear and almond extract to my version, but this is probably the most simple baked pancake recipe there is...it's very similar to my Swedish Oven Pancake I posted about previously, so if you liked that one, you'll LOVE this one.

Apple and Pear Puff Pancake
Ingredients:

1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 apple, peeled, cored and thinly sliced
1 pear, thinly sliced
5 large eggs
1/2 cup milk (I used non-fat)
1/2 cup AP flour
1 tsp almond extract
Dash of salt
Real maple syrup for serving (or powdered sugar)

1. Heat the oven to 425 degrees. Place the butter, brown sugar and cinnamon in a 9-inch glass pie plate. Heat in the oven until the butter is melted and bubbly - 5 minutes. Remove from oven, stir well and mix in the apple and pear slices. Return to the oven and bake for 2 minutes.

2. Meanwhile, combine the eggs, milk, flour, salt and almond extract in a blender or food processor and process until frothy - 1 minute. Pour over the apple mixture. Bake until the cake is puffed and the center is set - 18 to 20 minutes. Serve warm with maple syrup or powdered sugar.


No comments:

Post a Comment