Saturday, December 24, 2011

Irish Potato Cakes





I was looking for an interesting side dish to go with our Christmas Eve beef dinner tonight, and I remembered a recipe I found in my Irish Cooking cookbook. These are traditional Irish Potato Cakes, that my book says are normally served with butter and sugar. But I'm serving them as a savory side with a herbed butter. They are super easy to make and oh so yummy to eat.

Irish Potato Cakes
Ingredients:

1.5 lbs potatoes, peeled and boiled
2 tbs butter
Salt
1.5 cups AP flour

1. Peel and boil potatoes. Drain and mash in pot. Add butter and salt. Let cool.

2. Pour out onto a floured surface. Start adding flour as you make a dough. You can use up to 1.5 cups, but just add as much or as little as you need to make a pliable, but roll-able dough. Roll out to 1/2 inch thick. Cut into triangles.

3. On a dry griddle or a heavy cast iron skillet, cook each potato cake for 3-4 minutes, or until they are brown on each side. Serve warm with butter.

No comments:

Post a Comment