Saturday, November 5, 2011

Chewy Cornmeal Rolls





One of my strongest food-associated memories is the smell of my mother baking fresh bread in the house. I mean is there anything better than the smell of fresh baked bread? I don't think so.

I didn't have time to make fresh bread, but I found a recipe for rolls that looked promising, and it used cornmeal, which I thought would bring a great chewy texture to these rolls. I pulled out my yeast from the fridge and went to town.

These rolls really turned out great! They are chewy from the cornmeal, slightly sweet from the yeast, and they actually taste a little like the Hawaiian rolls you can buy in the supermarket. The whole family agreed that these little beauties should be made again and again. Be prepared for time though - anything made with yeast takes time...these are so worth it, though!

Chewy Cornmeal Rolls (courtesy of Grandma's Kitchen)
Ingredients:
1/2 cup shortening
2 cups milk
1 cup yellow or white cornmeal
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 tsp salt
1 envelope dry yeast
1/2 cup lukewarm water
4.5 - 6 cups AP flour
2 large eggs, beaten

1. Melt shortening in top of a double boiler set over high heat. **I don't have a double boiler, so I used a heat-proof pyrex bowl over a pot of boiling water...worked great!** Add the milk, cornmeal, granulated sugar and salt and mix well. Bring to a boil. Boil, stirring continually, for 10 minutes. Cool the mixture to lukewarm.



My version of a double boiler.



Totally works as a quick facial, too! Here I am enjoying the benefits!

2. Dissolve yeast in lukewarm water in a small bowl. Combine shortening mixture, yeast mixture, 1.5 cups flour and eggs in a large bowl. Stir in enough of the remaining flour (I used a total of 6 cups of flour in my mixture) to make a soft dough. Knead on a floured surface until smooth and elastic.



Beautiful yeast in all its foaming glory! This totally makes my list of 1000 gifts!



The dough is starting to come together.

3. Transfer dough to a greased bowl; turn to coat surface. Cover and let rise in a warm place **(I put mine on top of the fridge)** until double in size, about 2.5 hours.



Doubled in size!

4. Lightly grease two 13x9" baking pans. Shape the dough into 24 balls. **Mine made 36 balls.** Arrange 1/2 inch apart in the baking pans. Cover and let rise in a warm place until double in size, about 2 hours.



36 lovely rolls!





Doubled again!

5. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Bake rolls until golden, about 15-20 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment