Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Warmish

We've had such a late summer this year and it's here now! We haven't gotten up into the 90s like we usually do (much to many Washingtonian's chagrin), but that's just fine and dandy with me! As it is, we're in the mid-high 80s and when you live in a cool climate for so long, you just aren't used to the heat! Yesterday when I got home from work, it was just too darn hot to consider working out. We don't have AC in the house, because we usually don't need it but one to two weeks of the year. So my house can get pretty darn warm - add to that the weird fact that I don't need to start working out to start sweating. Just the thought of it is enough to get the glands working - I'm not kidding...I just brushed several beads of sweat away from my upper lip just typing about working out. So, yesterday was an off day for me. I can't get into the habit of that though because I'm inclined to continue not working out once I get going. So, this morning, at 6:00 a.m., when the sun had not yet made its daily appearance, I woke poor Andy and we straggled out of bed and onto the roads to get our run in, and BOY am I glad we did! It's so warm now, you couldn't drag me out of the house to run or walk!

I'm super excited because this weekend, we're joining the YMCA again (used to be members years ago), and I will begin my day (at least 3-4 days a week) swimming laps in their big, gorgeous pool! The earlier you get there (they open at 4:30 a.m.), the more lanes are open! I don't know that I'll be there that early, but I'm excited to get back to doing this again! (When I worked at Weyerhaeuser, I used to get up at 4:30 every morning and go swim at the Y.) They also have a nice indoor running track, so when it's too wet or cold to run, I can suit up and run indoors (NOT ON A TREADMILL) at the Y. Hooray.

So, it's been cereal, yogurt, smoothies and the like in my house for dinner because I'm not keen on the idea of cranking on the oven in this heat. I'm happy for all the cranky Washingtonians who are finally getting the sun, but this tried and true rain lover is longing for the rainy season to begin.

No comments:

Post a Comment