Sunday, September 4, 2011

Snack time


I'm always looking for a yummy snack, especially one that's a little on the sweet side (I have a perpetual sweet tooth). When I was browsing a great site (www.eatbetteramerica.com), I ran across this recipe for a fun, but healthy sweet snack. I changed it up a bit, but the premise is the same. It's quite tasty and pretty darn healthy.

Cheerio Sweet Snack
Ingredients:
3 cups Cheerios (I used Honey Nut, but you could use regular or multi-grain)
1 egg white
1 tsp cinnamon
1/3 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 tsp salt
1/3 coarsely chopped pecans, almonds or walnuts

1. Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Lightly grease a cookie sheet (or use Silpat).

2. In a large bowl, beat egg white on high speed until foamy; beat in salt. Gradually beat in brown sugar until thick and glossy. Gently stir in cinnamon, cereal and nuts until completely coated. Spread as thinly as possible on cookie sheet.

3. Bake 12-15 minutes or until set. Immediately remove from cookie sheet to cold cookie sheet or large pan. Cool completely, about 30 minutes. Break into pieces. Store in an airtight container.

No comments:

Post a Comment