Thursday, May 5, 2011

Mediterranean Pita Pizzas



I know it's Cinco de Mayo, but I didn't feel like making a Mexican feast tonight. Instead, I made these little Mediterranean Pita Pizzas for the boys and I. They were super good and Micah and Nathan scarfed theirs down! This was a tester recipe and I'm glad it worked out - I will be making it again for sure. I saw a similar recipe for something like this and thought I would modify it using some of that roast chicken I have waiting in the fridge. The best part about this recipe is that it took less than 15 minutes to make dinner! LOVE IT!!

Mediterranean Pita Pizzas
Ingredients:

Whole wheat pitas (3)
1/4 cup finely chopped onion
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 - 6 oz. can tomato sauce
1 tsp. fresh rosemary, chopped
1/3 - 1/2 cup FRESH mozzarella (ripped into pieces)
1/2 cup fresh spinach or other fresh greens
1/2 tomato, chopped
1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
3-5 oz. cooked chicken
Fresh basil
Butter/Olive oil for sauteeing

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

2. In a non-stick skillet, reheat the chicken while cooking the onion and garlic (in the butter and olive oil - about 1 tsp of each). Drain off any fat. Stir in rosemary and tomato sauce. Bring to a boil; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered for 2 minutes.

3. Place pitas on baking sheet. Bake for 4 minutes or until lightly toasted.

4. Top toasted pita bread with meat mixture; sprinkle with mozzarella cheese. Bake for 3-5 minutes more or until cheese is melted. Remove from oven.

5. Sprinkle with fresh basil, spinach (greens), tomato and feta cheese. Serve immediately.

Delicious!

**You could absolutely use ground beef or ground turkey for this recipe!

No comments:

Post a Comment