Thursday, April 14, 2011

Wieners and Beans


In keeping with the theme of pork and beans, tonight I made a family favorite: wieners and beans!!! My grandmother made this for my mother, my mother made it for me and my three sisters, and now I make it for my boys. This is the definitive comfort food in my house. Seriously. It was very rainy, windy and cold tonight. I was supposed to make soup, but by the time I got home from picking up Micah from track (he ran in the rain just like me!) and Nathan from Scrabble club, it was already 5:30...and the soup I wanted to make takes 2 hours...poor planning anyone?

I want something warm and rich. Something that makes you feel wrapped in a fuzzy blanket in front of the fire reading a book...wieners and beans the way my grandma makes it!

Wieners and Beans
Ingredients:

1 pkg hot dogs, sliced into coins
1/2 onion, diced
2 cans Van de Camps Pork and Beans
Olive oil (my addition)

1. Preheat a pan over medium heat. Add a little olive oil. When heated, add the onions and cook until just starting to caramelize. Add the hot dogs and cook until they are brown and golden on both sides.

2. Add the beans. Stir. Turn the heat down to low-medium and let cook for 20 minutes. This gives the beans, onions and hot dogs time to meld and make BEAUTIFUL music together!!

3. Serve, usually with some kind of bread for wiping up the remaining sauce. Can you say YUM???!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment