Saturday, November 6, 2010

Monkey Bread





Saturday mornings are one of the few times we get together as a family to just relax, take it easy and enjoy each other's company. This morning, I wanted to make a relaxed but tasty breakfast for my family. I've made monkey bread countless times but I've been wanting to try out a new recipe for the bread to see how it worked, so today was the day. Actually, I took my mom's recipe and my friend Dave's recipe and combined them into a new and I must say, improved recipe. This was so easy and so incredibly delicious - kinda like eating dessert for breakfast and in my book, there is nothing wrong with that!!!

Karin's New and Improved Monkey Bread
Ingredients:
4 cans buttermilk biscuits (not Grands)
1 cup sugar
2 tbs cinnamon
1/2 cup chopped pecans (omitted this time because I can't eat nuts with my poor mouth)
1 & 1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup butter
1 apple, chopped into small pieces

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and put rack in the middle of the oven.
2. Grease bundt pan with non-stick cooking spray.
3. Put pecans in bottom of pan.
4. Cut biscuits into 4s. Mix white sugar and cinnamon and coat biscuit pieces in sugar.
5. Place half of the biscuits in the pan. Add apples. Top with remaining biscuit pieces.
6. Meanwhile, put butter and brown sugar in a saucepan over med-high heat. Stir often and cook until sugar is dissolved and mixture is bubbly. Pour over biscuit pieces, apples and nuts.
7. Cook for 45 minutes.
8. Invert onto plate, cool for 5 minutes and enjoy!

I cooked some crispy bacon that Andy was willing to run out and get from Safeway this morning. We also had OJ and I had a delightful eggnog latte to round everything out. The perfect weekend breakfast!!

1 comment: