Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Stuffed zucchini



I love me some zucchini and am always looking for new ways to add flavor to this fairly bland but lovely vegetable. I've had stuffed zucchini before but I wanted to liven it up a bit and make it extra yummy. Here's what I did:

I browned 1.5 lbs of hamburger with 2 small onions and seasoned to taste.

While browning, I cooked 1 cup of pearl barley (my absolute FAVORITE whole grain).

I took apart 8 zucchini, cutting them lengthwise and scooping out their insides. I added the insides to the hamburger and onion.

When the pearl barley was done, I added it to the hamburger mixture and then I stuffed the zucchini!

When they were stuffed and looked beautiful, I freshly grated some Parmesan cheese over the top, covered the pan with aluminum foil and popped them into a 350 degree oven for 30 minutes.

When 30 minutes was up, I removed the foil, turned it up to broil and cooked for 3-5 minutes until the cheese was bubbly and delicious.

They were delightful and fairly healthy too!

No comments:

Post a Comment